This week is global Asbestos Awareness Week and PEME is reinforcing the importance of correct asbestos management arrangements within the Engineering Compliance service we provide to our Asset Care partners.
The HSE estimates around 5,000 people in the UK are killed each year as a result of asbestos-related diseases, which is more than those killed on the roads. Asbestos can be found in industrial buildings and equipment built or refurbished before the year 2000 and several manufacturing sector companies have been subject to fines in recent years for failing to ensure they have appropriate asbestos management procedures in place.
When conducting an Asset Care Assessment, PEME assess the existing Asbestos management arrangements and establish any gaps between current measures and best practise. Where PEME are managing the Engineering Compliance arrangements for our Asset Care partners we adopt the following best practice:
- An appropriate asbestos policy exists and is enforced
- An appropriate asbestos survey has been conducted
- An asbestos register exists and is kept up-to-date
- Any asbestos on-site is clearly labelled
- Personnel are provided with asbestos awareness training