PEME is one of this year’s sponsors at the Best Factory Awards. As we provide maintenance outsourcing and project installation services to many manufacturing clients we feel we are well-placed to sponsor the ‘Best Engineering Plant’ award.
Since 1992 more than 1600 manufacturing plants have taken part in the Best Factory Awards. Each plant has benefited from the audit report that it receives comparing its performance with other plants in the same sector. In addition a number of plants each year have gone on to win one of the prestigious Best Factory awards.
These prestigious awards are competed by manufacturing managers across the UK, with success being dependant on overcoming a notoriously tough judging process. It begins with completing a detailed self-audit questionnaire, which is marked by the judging team at Cranfield School of Management. Factories that prove themselves as a ‘best-in-class’ plant then go forward to a judging visit where the team will inspect their site to see whether the facts match the figures.
The winners are then revealed and awards presented at a celebratory luncheon that takes place in London on 27 September. There are 14 awards in total and the full Best Factory Awards 2013 shortlist is as follows:
- Cummins Power Generation, Manston, Ramsgate – Constructs diesel and gas-powered generators for primary and secondary standby power.
- Herman Miller, Chippenham – Manufactures high quality seating for offices.
- Vi-Spring, Ernesettle, Plymouth – Produces quality hand-crafted mattresses and divans for the global marketplace.
- Tharsus Vision, Blyth – The plant provides original equipment design and manufacture services (OEDM).
- EMS Radio Fire & Security Systems, Herne Bay, Kent – Designs and manufactures wire-free fire detection equipment.
- Siemens Industry Sector, Drives Technology, Congleton – Manufactures variable speed drives.
- FujiFilm Speciality Ink Systems, Broadstairs, Kent – Produces digital flexo and screen printing inks.
- Milliken European Airbag Products, Bury, Lancs – Manufacturers airbag fabric and airbag components for automotives.
- Sony UK Technology Centre, Pencoed – The factory produces broadcast and professional camera solutions, and undertakes collaborative manufacturing solutions for customers.
- Eaton Production International, Industrial Control Division, Worksop – Manufactures switch disconnectors and cam switches.
- Autoglym, Letchworth, Herts – Produces products used in the cleaning and polishing of vehicles.
- Bosch Thermotechnology, Worcester – Manufactures high efficiency heating and hot water appliances.
- D S Smith Packaging, Livingston – Manufactures and prints corrugated fibreboard packaging.
- Tata Global Beverages, Eaglescliffe, Stockton-on-Tees – Manufactures Tetley tea bags.