PEME provided a step-improvement in productivity for the pouch packaging Plant of an international food producer. We investigated, identified and delivered solutions to engineering problems. This Plant produces more than 2 million packs of food products every month.
An initial Assessment was carried out to identify systems and assets with poor reliability or performance. This included the analysis of historical failure data to determine dominant failure modes and the capture of Operator experiences to develop an understanding of production issues.
A 12-week project solution was developed consisting of the following:
- Provision of a small hands-on engineering team to carry out Plant Maintenance including asset surveys, Preventive and Corrective maintenance tasks and equipment modifications. Data mining and Pareto analysis of Computerised Maintenance Management System (CMMS) failure and downtime data focused effort onto assets causing the highest downtime
- Root Cause Analysis (RCA) to determine causes and recommended actions on problem systems / assets to recommend actions to improve productivity. In all cases low cost solutions were pursued
- Development of new or updated Preventive Maintenance routines for critical assets with known reliability issues. A fast-track Reliability Centred Maintenance (RCM) approach was used, which, defined meaningful tasks at appropriate task intervals. Tasks descriptions were developed to minimise ambiguity, introduce quantitative information and access requirements
- A Condition Monitoring survey was undertaken to identify where asset condition can be monitored during normal operation using appropriate Condition Monitoring tasks including Vibration Analysis, Oil Analysis, Thermographic Imaging and Acoustic Testing techniques
- A review of client Reliability functions, including a GAP analysis, was carried out to develop an action plan for improvement of maintenance management including data and communication improvements
This Reliability Improvement project resulted in greatly improved equipment performance with significant gains from the implementation by the client of the recommended actions and improved Preventive Maintenance routines.